Monday, May 4, 2009

Oregon: Yes, It Does Look as Pretty as the Postcards

Oregon is stunningly beautiful. There is green everywhere. The air is fresh, clean, smells great. House is beautiful, love the person I am living with. Yesterday I saw llamas and peacocks while taking a walk!

There are frogs ribetting and peacocks making their sounds - it's like a whole different universe, and a very peaceful one. Never heard a frog ribbet before!

The downside is United lost my baggage in two different cities in two days. Takes talent, huh?
Chicago and somewhere in central Oregon.

I'm feeling pretty crappy because I needed some of the medication in my suitcase, and am having uncomfortable symptoms because of it, but I am trying not to let that get me down. Spent the last 2 days on the phone with United Baggage Claim office, my oh my is there a diversity of people working there. :)
Hopefully it will all be worked out and I can get on to the business of trying to enjoy being here. There is certainly a lot to get used to but there is certainly a lot to look forward to and have the potential of enjoying also. So when I feel better I will try to write more later.

In the meantime here are two poems or parodies I was just inspired to write because of the rain (but here, even the rain looks pretty, and there are giant windows to watch it out of, and a great living room with plush carpet and windows the size of the entire wall, words just don't do it justice, I haven't had a living room I could be comfortable enough to be in in years):

(It's frustrating because there is so much good but it is overshadowed by feeling so crappily, first from the flight and then from the symptoms of missed medication, and it's hard to think beyond that, but I'm trying, and trying to poke fun at things.)

Wish me luck, anyway, and tell me what you think of these:

First look at the lyrics to the 1963 song Rythm of the Rain by the Cascades

http://www.oldielyrics.com/lyrics/the_cascades/rhythm_of_the_rain.html

And now look at my version, I tried to keep the rhymes as true as possible to the original version:

Listen to the rhythm of the falling rain
Telling me just what a fool I've been
Never will I fly United again, oh, it's such a shame
And let me be naive again

The only luggage I have cared about has gone away
Looking for a brand new street address, oh why did it have to part
But little does it know
That when it left that day
Along with it they took my business

Rain please tell me now does that seem fair
For them to lose my luggage in two different cities in two days, hear hear
I can't love another when my luggage is somewhere far away

The only luggage I have cared about has gone away
Looking for a brand new street address, oh why did it have to part
But little does she know
That when it left that day
Along with it they took my business

[Instrumental Interlude]

Rain won't you tell them that I wanted it so
Please ask the sun to put those United agents in the know
Rain in their heart and let the knowledge of how to run an airline start to grow

Listen to the rhythm of the falling rain
Telling me just what a fool I've been
Never will I fly United again, oh, it's such a shame
And let me be naive again

Oh, listen to the falling rain
Pitter pater, pitter pater
Oh, oh, oh, listen to the falling rain
Pitter pater, pitter pater

Also, I wrote a more serious one, loosely based on the first verse, that says it all in just a few lines:

Listen to the sound of the falling rain
Telling me just what a beautiful place I'm in
I wish that it would go away and let me admire the huge green trees down the lane
And let me be in fresh air again

Listen to the sound of the preening peacocks
Telling me what town I'm in
Listen to the sound of the ribbetting frogs
Showing me how beautiful this world can be
Listen to the sound of a laugh,
Telling me that human communication and connection is possible.

1 comment:

Tanya @ Teenautism said...

Glad to hear you arrived safely and like where you are staying. Sorry about your luggage, but I love your version of the song! You are so creative!