Monday, May 4, 2009

The Curious Incident of the Lost Luggage

The Curious Incident of the Lost Luggage

After deciding it liked the Windy City a bit too much and overstaying its welcome in Chicago, my suitcase finally made its way to Portland, Oregon. Where they decided to ship it to North Bend, 2 hrs south of us on the coast. At which point they decided Eugene, 2.5 hrs East of us, was closer and sent it there. It was supposed to be driven out to us late Sunday night by around midnight, but we waited till 2am and it did not get here. Half a dozen phone calls to the airline yesterday and half a dozen more today - every person on the phone today said something different, of course, and most didn't know what they were talking about - and someone said the bag had been dropped off at our house at 11:50pm last night. So great we thought, the bag was dropped off at a stranger's house and we'll never get it back. We called some neighbors to see if they had it but they didn't. They said they'd call the driver to get more info about where she had left it but she wasn't working today. Basically I was resigned to losing the suitcase. But then about 10pm we got a phone call - someone had the suitcase! One of the houses we hadn't called found it when she went out tonight and called us. Luckily, the airline had put my contact info on it when they sent it to Eugene. At least they did something right!

So therefore ends the saga of the suitcase. I'm still not flying United again if I can help it.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Kate! You're in Oregon! How cool is that? I'm glad your luggage finally caught up with you. Maybe the gods caused it to be lost so that you could get to know all your new neighbors? ;-)

And Oregon is indeed beautiful. I'm glad the air feels so good there. Wow. You've landed.

Rachel said...

P.S. Kate, is it okay if I add Learning How to Bend to my list of favorites on my blog?

Tanya @ Teenautism said...

Wow - amazing that you got it back after all that, and I'm really happy that you did.