Thursday, June 4, 2009

A Zest for Food

Did I already write in here today? I can't remember. It seems familiar, lol. I dunno.

I was just reading about New Hampshire and the gay marriage thing. Am very happy about them and it.

Man I am trying to write thi blog pos but its not happening. I knew pigging out on Trader Joes junk food wasn't a good idea, lol.

Was going to sleep 3 hrs ago but wanted to write about tonight, decided I needed jnk food to make em awake to do it, shoud have rethriought idea

Ok in short:

rm's friend S came tonight and cooked a delicious dinner, of sauteed tuna and rockfish, and rm made some rice i actually liked w/ something called briggs sauce on it. so nice to have something tat actuyally made mystomach feel good for once and tasted so good. so nice to have a real sit down dinner with other people for the first time in many , many, many months - probably been a year since I had a sit down dinner with other people. Didnt with either parent or in Liberty or Burlington. So felt really good. To sit with 2 people I liked very much and enjoy a delicious dinner and engage in stimulating but relaxing dinner time conversation. it's kind of like a dream. i miss those days, rhat used to be a staple of my childhood, long meal time conversations and good food.

i didnt expect much but i loved rm's friend S. Some people are open and most are closed I have concluded. Most seem to just send off this dont get near me or talk to me vibes. if they become open it's only because you hgad to pry them open and that takes mucho time.
Some on other hand are open and friendly and you get "i like you, talk to me" vibes right away. i like that very much.

A few things I noticed about him or night in general:

1. he put a lot of effort into making sure i was included in the conversation. since i have great difficulties keeping up in a 3 person convo i appreciated that more than you can imagine. my voice is soft and high and i talk too fast ...... people don't usually understand me and ignore me. To hear him on 2 occasions stop his conversation with RM to say "I heard you say XXX" which I had started saying but stopped as I felt I was interrupting their convo (my sense of timing isn't always great) and want to take the time to hear what I had to say was amazing. Very few if any people in my life have done that. This guy never met me before and had no obligsation to include me at all in convo but went out of his way to do it. Gotta love a guy like that.

2. 3 person convos. I usually suck at them. I can't break into a conversation to save my life. I can't keep up. I cant interject anything natural sounding. They usually drive me crazy, esp as I cantstand being left out eithe way

This one went fine! He would start telling a story, RM would join in, and when I had formulated a response in my head I would interject it and join in too. Often this would spark somehing else in S and he would reply and we'd get into a little repartee or banter for a bit , until the next subject, where K would say siomething, and if I could think of anything I woulkd, and S and so on....Seldom have I ever had a three person convsrsation go so well...ever!

It was like having some kind of forcefield - I felt relaxed and good and like nothing could hurt me, in a sense, because I was getting so emotionally filled up by the conversation. Such a wonderful feeling. Like I used to feel when having lunches with Michael and Allison at school .

3. Food

S is passionate about food, so this i somethong we had in common. He is also a natural born story teller, has a zest for life and likes to make jokes. All things I love ina person. When he talked, I noticed he talked about certain foods that had meaning for him with the same zest, joy, and body consuming joy and interest that I do - never have I met anyone as passionate about food as he and it was great to behold.

He mentioned flans so I mentioned the best flan/creme caramel I ever hd was at Fore St n Portland and was a lavender CC. Hence ensued a long covno on the use of lavender in cooking, such as for the Dagoba chocolate bars or the lavender ginger cookies at Geo's.
Somehow we got talking about fish of course - he mentioned sole,I think, so I mentioned Dad's flounder and crabmeat dish and how I tried to duplicate it once. We debated the merits of flounder versus sole versus tillapia, halibut so on. He even knew about Odwalla and Boltwood Farms, he brought some for us, and we discussed those places and Fresh Samantha.

When he talked about a dish he particularly liked or a food he had had in a resteraunt, his eyes got big, he used hand gestures, his voice enthusastic, and you could hear pure reverence, pure joy,. complete reveration and awe and delight in the food he wadt alking about - same as me.
Man was it fun talking to someonme as passionmate abiut food as mwe.

so was 3 hrs or so w. him and great = that sense of connection - the bubble wonderful relaxing feelin of being in a 3 person easy going enjoyable cnvo - gotta remember oit

bedtime now tho

Kate

2 comments:

Life's Journey said...

That's so cool Kate! I'm glad you had an enjoyable dinner with your roomate and her friend. Your right with the 3 person conversations. It's hard to stay involved. Looks like I have a lot of catching up to do with your blog. You've been having a lot of fun. Good for you. Happy Days.

Cindy said...

It's great you are having such good experiences there, Kate. I think probably you are also learning more about what others expect from you, making the interactions all flow more easily.