Saturday, December 6, 2008

The joy of Odwalla

So, F came today, and I managed to actually get up at 11:30 to meet her! Score one for me, I haven't gotten out of bed before 2 or 3 in weeks. I didn't know if I'd be able to. I didn't know what to do with all the daylight I had! :)

Note to self: not such a good idea to invite someone into your apt before smelling them, even if they too have MCS. They might just have mint gum, or some other distinct smell that wouldn't bother you if outside, but in a tiny apt, makes you worried about smell contamination. I think it's mostly gone now but it was not a pleasant experience to have to worry about that.

We went for a walk to the graveyard, which was easy to walk on as far as the top level, where we turned around (didn't go in the back though like I used to; was cold; still want to do that at some point, hopefully before we get more snow, which I hope won't happen for a while.)

Got some water at HF store. Luckily she wanted to go see J when we got back and I didn't have to figure out what I was going to do about not wanting her to come in the apt again.

So, after I finished or at least took a break from freaking out over the possible smell contamination, and had the window open for a while so it was much better, I drank some of the Odwalla.

Wooh, heaven on earth. The thick mixture of fruits and veggies had the perfect balance; sweet without being too sweet, tasty without being cloying. Immensely refreshing; the thick texture makes it all the more pleasing.

That is the first thing I have wanted and got since I got here that actually tastes as good as I remember it to.

The Trader Joe's stuff, not so good; the Good Food stuff, good, certainly, but not excellent;
the probiotic bars were almost as good as I remembered, but the Odwalla was every bit as good as I remembered, and the first truly pleasurable moment I have had since I got here. Even if it was just a moment. A moment is better than nothing. She got it at the Price Chopper in Middletown.

The probiotic bars are good as well, chewy and tasty, sweet without going overboard, a delicious berry taste, creamy topping, makes me feel somewhat more relaxed and alert afterwards. A little bit easier to digest for a snack.

I have to remember to see if Rite Aid has it; they probably don't, but it's possible.

So, between the Odwalla and probiotic bars, this is an extremely healthy, and extremely tasty, snack:

Odwalla:

Smooth and sweet, this gushing garden gulp is a blend of sweet apple juice and luscious purees of peach, mango, strawberry and banana, expertly blended with green foods including wheat grass, barley grass and wheat sprouts, plus other great stuff. Odwalla Superfood is an easy and tasty way to get a serving of fruit. The wide array of ingredients in this sweet and fruity blend, including 1,000 mg of spirulina per serving, provide goodly amounts of micronutrients vitamin C, iodine, manganese and potassium.
Micronutrients like vitamin c, iodine, potassium and others.

Ingredients:

Apple Juice, Peach, Mango, Strawberry and Banana Purees, Spirulina, Soy Lecithin, Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid), Wheat Grass, Barley Grass, Wheat Sprouts, Jerusalem Artichoke, Lemon Bioflavonoids and Nova Scotia Dulse.


Probiotic Granola bars:

"We blend whole grains, nuts and real fruit for a crunchy, chewy combination that's wholesome and satisfying! Fresh-fruit flavor and creamy yogurt-flavored coating is a healthy way to start the morning, but if you decide to enjoy it later, we won't tell anyone."

  • Packed with 5 times the live active cultures in yogurt
  • Excellent source of calcium
  • Good source of protein
  • 3 grams of fiber
  • All natural
  • Take it on the go

  • Odwalla juice drinks and probiotic granola bars - breakfast of the champions! :)

    In other news, there is a very annoying Xmas song on the radio now.

    In other news still, I gave myself a haircut today! Woohoo. I went on the fire escape armed with nothing but a pair of scissors (no mirror, unfortunately) and gave myself a haircut. Figured, hey, it's not like I really see anyone....what do I care what I look like as long as it feels good? So, I cut it, really short, and now it feels really good. I love the feeling of not having hair on my head.

    4 comments:

    Life's Journey said...

    Sounds like you had a great day. Keep smiling. :) Happy Days

    Unknown said...

    hello :) i'm happy you found some good food up there. Which things from trader joe's did you have that weren't as good as you remember? Was it the truffles, or the chocolate pretzels? Last year, for Christmas, Aaron & I tried this Chocolate Truffles recipe from Cooking for Engineers and they came out great! You can adjust the type of chocolate you use if you want milk or dark chocolate truffles. We used Ghiradelli milk & dark chocolate and both came out incredibly rich & decadent. They were insanely easy to make and you don't need that much in the way of special equipment. Just letting you know in case you're still craving truffles.

    Kate said...

    OMG How stupid can I be?
    He was at Trader Joe's and I forgot to ask for truffles?
    SHEESH!
    I don't know if they'd had them or not but that would have been freaking amazing.
    Now I am craving them.
    Pretty please send them? :)
    Thanks for comment
    Kate

    Kate said...

    had chocolate covered blueberries and choco covered pretzels.
    also some choco covered raspberry sticks which id never had before and were ok the first few times then got old. thats problem with that place - you get sick of stuff quick.