Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Action and Humor

One of the most amazing gifts about writing is being able to reach out to so many different people and affect their lives in some way, make them feel something you're feeling or see something you're seeing, all without leaving your house. The feeling of connection with other people is one of the primary reasons I write; the other reason is just because it comes naturally, it's fun, and I like to express myself. But it's far, far more enjoyable to express yourself when someone reads what you write and responds to what you write.

I was lucky enough to get just such a memorable response the other day, which I will post here with her permission. This is from someone on an MCS email list who read my blog after I posted the link on the list.

"Kate, you are such an inspiration to me. I have ‘watched’ your progress and you amaze me. Your tenacity, your determination to find your way reminds me so much of my Jen. You made such a courageous move when you moved out into the boonies for your health. The tone of your writing has changed so much – I am still in awe – so much courage. So open, never afraid to ask questions. I read your first two blogs this morning – you have this way of writing that makes me feel as though I was right there with you. A rare gift. I wanted you to know that that your story touched me. Your anger, though justified, has dissipated – you sound as though you are in control of your life. So many people choose to stay with their anger. You choose action and humour instead – oh how I love humour. The ‘bathroom scene’ still has me chuckling."

Her email is inspiring to me as she says I am to her. I like the way she distills everything I have been doing into two very important words - action and humor. I like that very much. Action and humor. That might have made a good name for this blog if I had thought of it before, although I do like what I have. That is a great philosophy of life to have. It is what I strive for,
of course, although I will be the first to admit that I don't always get there. But what a wonderful way to try to live: do what you can, when you can, and always try to have a good, and humorous, attitude about it. Always try to laugh.

It's not always possible, but it's great when it is.

Action and Humor. That should go on a bumper sticker.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So true! I wish that I could do that all of the time as well. Most of my day I fight to take things with a humorous note. But it doesn't always work with two kids under 5 and then the kids that I care for or are visiting. PLUS a big 32 year old kid! haha! But I love them all.

At the end of the day I hope to feel that I made their day somehow. Helped them grow inside and out. It doesn't always happen, but you do the best you can with what you have at that time. Not looking back at the past, because I am stepping up on it. It built me but is NOT me kind of thing.

Yeah, I think that I may write more so I will have to stop for now. LOL Gotta get these boys to bed. :) Kudos on the letter!! That was beautiful!