Sunday, December 21, 2008

Happy Hanukkah, Drink Your Gin and Tonneka

All right, I thought I'd write a post about the snow. Or something.

Right now I am talking to someone about how call letters make better imaging than stupid radio names. And listening to annoying Xmas music on the radio. That is strangely not as annoying as I thought it would be. And tonight I was able to send out Hanukkah greetings on the radio; haha New York accent when they answered, how come everyone else in this town doesn't have what I would call a New York accent, but both radio stations I've called, they have? It doesn't come out when they're on the air, but it hits you over the head when you call them on the phone. It's like they're speaking a different language or something. It's so....New York, lol. Perhaps all radio DJs here come from the city? Who knows.

Anyway, they said they wanted to play me a Hanukkah country song but they didn't know of any. I have to admit I was hard pressed to suggest one. It would have been easier if it was an oldies station. (PSS, VOS!) I should call them. If they would ever answer. See if I could get them to play Peter Paul and Mary's "Light One Candle" on the radio.

Top Shelf Oldies did play me a Hanukkah song last night, actually. Don't know what but it kept repeating something about the eight days of lights so figured it was related.

SUCCESS! I have found a Hanukkah country song. And thank God I got to turn it off. Wow, her voice hurts my ears. Somehow I've never been so fond of yodeling. Just not my thing.
But you have to give her points for creativity. A country singer singing about being a country girl at heart except for "just one thing" she likes that MAZEL TONK. Ya know, like honky tonk except with a Mazel in front of her. I think it's the new greeting for people in hick towns: "Mazel Tonk!"

See for yourself:
http://www.myspace.com/brigidkaelin
Scroll down to second player and click on Blue Dreidel or Mazel Tonk.

Or how about an intepretation of Woody Guthrie Hanukkah songs?
http://www.amazon.com/Woody-Guthries-Happy-Joyous-Hanukkah/dp/B000H30BS6

Okay, I give up! There is no such thing as a good Hanukkah song. I think I have to admit it. Why can't there be? Oh yeah. No (or almost no) Jewish country singers.

Sigh.

****

Okay, we now return you to your originally scheduled programming. Specifically ,snow. Yes. We got about six inches on Friday and maybe three or four inches today. Not sure cus it was plowed when I got up, but wasn't Friday. The front yard had six inches of fresh snow when I went out for my walk on Friday. So, finally seeing the need for boots, I went to try out the pair A had given me when she told me I would "absolutely, without question" need boots and I said I wouldn't because they plow. I only wear boots in fresh unplowed snow. Well, surprisingly, to my amazement, the boots were actually comfortable. They are the first comfortable boots I have worn in my entire life. I usually do not wear boots because it just plain hurts too much to wear them. I always had the stiff plastic kind that your foot can't move around in. These are, I think, leather, and just like a slipper, they're so comfortable. I have never been able to move around in and walk in snow so easily in my life! I have never been able to enjoy walking in snow. Those six inches of snow were nothing with my new SuperBoots.

The sounds of the season are all around us. No, not the Xmas music, although that is too.
The sound of plows in the middle of the night or late evening (never, it seems, in the daytime when people would most want them); the sound of children playing and yelling with excitement; the sound of shoveling. Today when I got up I saw two cute little kids sledding in our front yard. Apparently the snowbanks were high enough for them to do so. Actually , they weren't that high, as I saw when I went for my walk, but high enough to sled on on, I guess.

Snow I can take, cold temperatures even, but I really hate this wind.

Happy Hanukkah to all. Light a virtual menorah for me.

Kate

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the title of this post -- and the Chanukah songs. Thanks