Sunday, April 26, 2009

Mental preparation for Oregon: Where I've Come, Where I'm Going

***If you haven't already please scroll down and look at the pictures I have posted in my last post, which I am very proud of. ***

Writing this out so I can first feel proud of what I have already accomplished and second have something concrete to look forward to when I get there, as much as possible.

Things I have done to get ready for this trip:

1. Emailed Melissa. A month of conversation in email and phone.

2. Figured out financial aspect of it.

3. Introduced idea to family and got approval for it.

4. Found out I could get credit on United for flight.

5. Found second person to stay with before first person. Talked to her. Researched how to get there and how to get needs met when there. Made decision if good idea to go there or not.

Debated on best time to leave. Made plans with the people I needed to. Got backup from Portland airport in case of missed connection. Bought airline tickets. Found way from Portland to Newport.

6. Anticipated needs for trip and tried to fill them. Got useable CD player. Food. Newspapers. Called and will call airline about aisle seats. Tried to get clothes even if not successful yet, tried, and will be able to fix this problem when I get there if not before.

7. Said my goodbyes to people here. Got to see both of my high school friends Elysia and Anna, and am thankful for that.

8. Tried as much as possible to mentally prepare and to communicate to people I will be living with everything that needs to be.

*******

Things to Look Forward to in Newport

1. Understanding person to enjoy being with and talking to.
2. New radio stations, both country and oldies. Place to take walks.
3. New city to explore and enjoy.
4. Taking pictures to document new city and life if Puppup sends me his camera like he said.
5. Independence, hope, opportunity, new beginnings
6. Eating and cooking fish
7. Hiking
8. Seeing the Pacific Ocean! Getting to spend a lot of time by it.
Exploring the town.
9. Something new.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

This is great. It's kind of like you're taking yourself by the hand and walking yourself, step by step, through this process.

Kate said...

Yes. I think that is exactly what I am doing. That is what I do with almost every aspect of my life, actually. But you put it into words so well - thanks!

Tanya @ Teenautism said...

Kate, I think you covered all the bases and you did it well. Give yourself lots of pats on the back - you're prepared!