Monday, April 13, 2009

Mackworth Island, Maine.... + Future plans in Oregon



Mackworth Island, Falmouth, Maine

Wow, this swinging bench was so pretty. It was kind of like heaven, to be sitting and swinging and having ALL of Casco Bay, at least all you could see in any direction, laying out there right in front of you. We could see all the way to South Portland from there, we could see Fort Gorgess (sp?), we could even see the lighthouse in SMCC, all the way from a small island in Falmouth. The sun was sparkling on the water. It was a great place to sit, both my friend N and I were way too antsy to sit for long, so we went on with our walk! Beautiful level ground hike through about 1.25 mile loop with interesting things to see along the way, such as homes for fairies built out of sticks and even what was apparently a pet cemetary. Okay, that was kind of weird. 50 degrees and sunny, but a bit windy. Tired by end, but definitely nice to be in nature for a little. Celebrated with a chocolate chip cookie after, found out O'Naturals in Falmouth has decided to stop selling bottled water because it's not "sustainable." That may be, but is it stopping them from selling other bottled drinks in plastic? Don't you think they should take the ethic storewide? If indeed that is what they mean by sustainable? Anyway considering they charge 2.25 for their bottle water and it usually tastes like crap, (sorry, O'Naturals, but it does), I'm surprised any store would let go of a cash cow that big. I guess I should be congratulating them, but I really did want some water I could take with me. I ended up getting it for much cheaper at Whole Foods for 99 cents....wait a minute, did I just say I got something for cheaper at Whole Foods? Haha, oxymoron, I must be dreaming.

I had the worst creme brulee I have ever had in my life - omg, it had the consistency of soup, and the ratios of cream, sugar, caramel etc were as if a 2 yr old had mixed them together - the most awful taste I have tasted in a good long while - this did NOT resemble a creme brulee in any shape or form. So, again, we gave up and went to Whole Foods. Where incidentally, they sell a really good creme brulee for half the price. Um, wait a minute, I just said WF sold something for cheap again. Either all that sugar went to my head, or Portland's becoming more of a yuppie town than I thought if their prices are higher than Whole Foods...lol.

Oh, yes, and did I mention Whole Foods had no bananas tonight? I have not been able to get the phrase "Yes, We Have No Bananas" from the play from the 30s when the whole world ran out of bananas cus they all died which could happen again by the way in 5 or 10 yrs.... but it's a bit early to be running out of bananas. Three of the biggest grocery stores in southern Maine had NO BANANAS today. Being that I eat on average 20-30 bananas a week, every week, this was of great concern to me.

However, they did have strawberries, so score for that.

Their microwaveable chocolate souffle, however, while delicious, did NOT agree with my stomach.

I am beginning to realize I need to exercise just a tiny bit more restraint when it comes to shopping at Whole Foods. I thought I was doing okay, and I am restraining myself from most extras, it's just my normal staples are costing a bit too much.

By the way, I'm moving to Oregon. Feel free to celebrate with me, offer encouragement, or tell me how to pronounce Oregon, one or the other. I found an MCS person to live with. I am first going to Newport, on the coast, and then to Bend, in the central part of the state. I leave May 2. I just made plane tickets lasrt night. WISH ME LUCK!!!!

And if you know any contacts for me in either of those areas. ..... let me know!!

I hope to resume regular blogging when I get there or perhaps even before. If I could manage it before, maybe it would help my motivation and spirits. I have a feeling I am going to be experiencing extreme anxiety as I wait these last few weeks out wondering what will happen. I am actually very little concerned about what will happen when I get there, although I might be when it gets closer. I am however VERY concerned about the stability of both my mental and physical health, both of which I have been having issues with, in the three weeks before I get there. So I will need all the support I can get. And I have a few problems that need solving first that I swear loom bigger and bigger everyday.

But I am going to make a to do list and try to keep myself sane. Resolutions: I will NOT worry about my health issues, more than absolutely necessary. I will remember that most or all symptoms are temporary. I will close my mind and visualize how awesome Oregon will be. I will have patience. I will have calmness. I will believe I can survive everything that I need to in order to get to Oregon. I will believe that I can be resourceful enough to solve all the problems that will come my way, both before, during, and after arriving there.

I hope. :)

Now I have to go write some blurbs about cities. I got a temporary writing job from an online company doing so and tonight is the first night. Hhmmmmmm we'll see how this goes.

Until next time...

Kate

1 comment:

Tanya @ Teenautism said...

Oregon is such a beautiful state. I'm a transplant too! I totally laughed about the pronunciation issue - I still hear it from time to time. Hope your move goes well!