Thursday, November 27, 2008

Well, it's better than being locked out...

On Monday, I had an interesting start to the day.

I got up late as I usually do (I'm pretty nocturnal), and went into the bathroom for my shower. When I got out of the shower, I toweled off and went to go out to get my breakfast. When I tried to open the door, though, the doorknob fell off.

Oops.

My first thought was not to panic, maybe there was still some way to open it by pushing it from the inside. Nope. That thing was closed firm.

My second thought was Damn it, now I'm going to have to think of something else.

And I hadn't had anything to eat yet, nor was I dressed, and I don't do well before I eat. So I was frustrated about that but figured I might as well stay calm.

There was a fire escape, so I sighed and climbed out the window with only a towel on to investigate. I climbed gingerly down the steps three stories only to find it ended several feet below the ground - much too far to jump, especially with a towel on.

It was cold, so I went back into the bathroom to regroup and figure out what to do next.

My second idea was to go out again to assess my other options. I found out you could get on to the roof of my landlord's apt and access his kitchen window. It was closed, of course, so I couldn't go into it, but I figured I could wait until he got home and then knock on the window.

So I did. There was no clock in there so I wasn't sure how much time had passed; but I just tried to be patient and wait; I knew he got home usually around 5 or 5:30 so figured I had about two hours to kill. Sure enough, at a little past 5 (I only knew it was around 5 because the radio, which was playing very softly in the kitchen, was doing the top 5 at 5 and I had been straining to listen to it to hear the Top 5 at 5 to figure out what time it was), I heard a door slam underneath me. I waited a minute or two, and went back on the roof (completely dark this time, much harder) and knocked on his window.

"What HAPPENED?" he cried out, as he saw me in my towel on the roof.
"I got locked in the bathroom cus the doorknob fell off."
"I'll be right up."

So he came up, let me out, and fixed the doorknob, and then made a hasty and somewhat embarassed exit. I wandered around, disoriented, for a while, before deciding to get dressed, eat something, go for a walk and follow my usual routine and pretend nothing had happened.

But it was a VERY interesting way to start the day and one I hope not to repeat. At least it makes a good story to tell. How many people can say they got locked in their own bathroom? Or locked anywhere, for that mater? I kept thinking of all those "If you were stuck in a room with..." jokes, and wanted to do something clever that would make a good story later; alas, the the toothbrush did not open the door, though, and that was as creative as I could be.

It beats being stuck in an elevator, I'll say that much. Or in anywhere public.

Maybe this should be a required flexibility lesson for Aspies, lol. "No, you are not going to follow the plans you set out for today; you are going to be stuck in a bathroom for two hours first and learn flexibility!"
...Not such a big fan of flexibility.

No comments: