Thursday, November 27, 2008

There is civilization in this place

My landlord surprised me tonight by saying he had gotten lox from Port Jervis, which is a town 40 minutes away on the PA border where he works. Apparently, there is a manafacturing plant there where they make the lox! He said it was the same stuff they sold to the stores in New York City. So, I was on Cloud Nine during my walk (he told me this right before I went on my walk as I saw him outside) and I was so happy imagining the taste of it that I didn't even care it was 25 degrees out, and had a big smile on my face the whole time.

He bought two pounds and gave me half. The verdict is that it is not quite as good as the NYC lox I remember, but still quite good and welcome! It is a little bit thicker and fishier tasting than I remember, and doesn't melt in your mouth as much as the stuff I remember. I wonder what the difference is, if this is the stuff they get in NYC? There must be a million different kinds of lox, though. All this said on the package was "Smoked Salmon" so hard to tell what kind. The best kind to me is very oily, salty, smoky and melts in your mouth.

This was a fraction of the price that it sells for in NYC, of course.
But it was good and I was very, very happy to have lox tonight!
(And I'll be very, very curious if I ever do get NYC lox to see how it compares.)
At least lox can be obtained within 40 minutes of this place. Civilized people abound.

The first person who comes to visit me from any point New York or south is bringing me lox from NYC, lol. (Before moving here I was sure I was going to be able to get NYC lox here and was so excited; I was also sure I was going to be able to get the New York Times; I can get neither. That is not to say they don't sell the NYT anywhere, but not in the bakery or health food store, the only two places I can go. Well, since the incident last week, the health food store is really the only place I can go, but you'd think a bakery would carry a newspaper - ANY newspaper.)

Funny story about the bakery and newspapers:

I go in the first day and ask if they carry a newspaper. She says, "Well, no, we don't, but maybe we should, other people have been asking, too." (Gee, do you THINK, that people might want to read a newspaper when they're in a bakery??)

Then I got scared and thought, "What if they don't even HAVE a daily newspaper here?" and tried to find one online, but couldn't, so emailed what I thought was the nearest paper to ask. They said their paper came out only twice a week. Eventually, I ascertained that there is a daily paper called the Herald Times Record, I believe, but I am not able to get it, and their website is hardly worth going to. A dissapointment - I do enjoy reading newspapers. But what can you do.

No comments: