Thursday, November 27, 2008

Cooking and other problems of life

Don't you hate when you pick up some nice organic dark meat chicken thighs, put them in a pan, get them all seasoned and ready to cook, and realize that the pan doesn't fit in the oven?

And you don't have another one? It was a frustrating night. The pan was new, and I thought it was the same size as the one I already had, but apparently not.

I was able to cook my regular chicken breasts but couldn't cook the thighs. And I hate cooking chicken because I obsess endlessly over whether it is white enough or if it is too pink to be safe. And probably overcook it because of that. I have been told that a little bit of a pinkish tint is okay, but how do you define "a little bit"? Argh. It was in there for an hour so it should be okay.

I wish I had something to eat besides chicken.

Good thing that happened today: very pleasant and enjoyable conversation with an MCS woman I met through Planet Thrive who lives in Darmiscotta, Maine. Was surprised how much I enjoyed her. Learned that the town she lives in which is actually Jefferson and not Darmiscotta is not nearly as rural as I thought it was. Unlike this town, THEY have a Hannaford. You ain't rural until you don't have a Hannaford. I never thought I could actually miss Hannaford.

And apparently also contrary to belief, you can get Augusta radio stations there, including country; but not, according to Radio Locator, in Darmascotta itself. (Jefferson is about 12-15 miles in between both Augusta and Darmiscotta.) Of course, Radio Locator can be wrong sometimes, as I discovered when I came here, and would have thought I only had one country station (or several) if I had believed RL, instead of the two I have.

Except of course on football Sundays, when I only have one, and a bad countdown at that, because they're obsessed with football and play the football games, which WOKQ does as well, but at least there's two other stations when they do it.

Oh yea, and I also found out Darmiscotta is really hard to spell and most websites don't recognize my spelling of it, lol.

1 comment:

dbrdsg said...

morning ..read all the entrees [pun intended] found them to be witty,poignent, personal, and stephen colbert type sarcastic..edited would make a great weekly newspaper column. will comment specifically sometime when im more awake..but certainly enjoyed beinf able to follow your life this way Love d d